Wednesday, July 15, 2009

My Healthcare Story


My Healthcare Story

Give us healthcare

It is time that Americans had healthcare. I am always hearing stories about people without healthcare and it makes me wonder how Americans can be against the idea. The truth is that we all have horror stories about healthcare, but this one caught my attention.

I am a teacher and I see all kinds of horror stories working in a poor school. However, when I saw one of my students walk onto campus with a swollen jaw it aroused my curiosity. It turned out that she had a toothache and it was getting worse. I asked her if she had been to the doctor and she said her parents couldn't afford it. I called her parents and they said that the father had recently lost his job and they were on the verge of having to move anyway.

Her mother then frightened me with this story. It turns out that the youngest child, a male, has a tumor on his testicle. If you are not aware, testicular cancer strikes young men under 30. He went to the doctor, but had not been back since because they do not have healthcare.

Recently, I read another story about a woman whose father was a doctor. He developed a serious illness and had to leave work and had NO health insurance. The medical bills wiped him out and his dying wish was to have universal healthcare for his children and grandchildren.

Grow up America. We need healthcare and we have to pay for it.

Sphere: Related Content

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to your forum. Grow Up America is intended to be a forum for intelligent discussions. Leave the rhetoric, profanity, epithets, hate, sermonizing for other sites. If you have intelligent conversation and want to join in on trying to become part of America's solution join us.

 
*/ /* IE5 hack */ #main {}